I have done quite a bit of volunteer work in my mothering career.
- Cub Scout Den Leader
- My sons classroom
- Church Sponsored Activities (This weekend we are planting new flowers around the church)
- Soccer Team Mom
to name just a few.
What would make these things easier?
- If I send out an e-mail asking for information – please RESPOND! It is harder to plan fun activities without certain information.
- If I ask for help – please say yes. It makes my job easier and makes it more fun for the kids.
- If I ask for help – please say NO. This is meant for the people who say yes, but then don’t really help. That actually is less helpful then if you just said no in the first place.
- If I ask for money – please give me some, but only if it isn’t a hardship to your family. I am not saving up for a trip to Mexico with the money. I am using it to do fun things for your kids. However if donating $10 for the soccer party means your family can’t eat dinner, then please let me know you can’t afford it!
- Please say thank you. My love language is words of affirmation. I LOVE volunteering in my sons class, because his teacher is SO appreciative. It makes it worth every minute. There are many times I volunteer and no one says thanks. That is OK, but honestly it makes me sometimes less likely to volunteer next time. I am a busy mom of 3 boys and teach CBE and may be called at a moments notice to attend a birth as a doula, so it can be stressful to volunteer, a little gratitude goes a long way!