So I have joined the book club at the Waldorf School. I have wisely told one of my other book clubs I am dropping out for awhile. 4 book clubs is just too much! I am trying to simplify my life too.
We are reading Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids. Each week we discuss a section and then have a challenge we work on for the week.
This week the challenge was to cut down on the toys and books
Knowing their was a challenge was a good inspiration, but I also read ahead to the section of the book which inspired me more. Here were the guidelines of the type of toys to get rid of:
- Broken Toys
- Developmentally Inappropriate Toys
- Toys based on Characters from movies or TV (the reasoning behind this is often kids act out the shows with these toys, so whose imagination are they using – theirs or Hollywoods?)
- Toys that do too much or break too easily
- Very high Stimulation Toys
- Annoying Toys
- Toys that are meant to help your kids develop and grow faster
- Toys that your kids really bug you to buy
- Violent Toys
Some of these were easier then others.
The simplification process took me 2 days with probably about 6 hours of work total. The only sad thing is I didnt’ get a before picture! I did re-read this section of the book 2 times to help me stay strong in purging.