- I love them
- Like the idea – but not for me
- They still exist?
I love them
These tend to be moms who have done a lot of research about birth. They maybe are planning a birth with a midwife, or have had friends who have used a midwife and wish they could use one too.
This tends to be a small group of women.
It is an interesting idea – but it is not for me!
These moms know midwives exist, but have many questions about why it probably wouldn’t be right for them to use a midwife. Most of the moms fall into this camp.
- Is it safe? It is safe for a low-risk mom!
- Are they trained? Yes, they are highly trained.
- What about an emergency? They are trained to handle emergencies. Some moms do have to transfer to a hospital.
- My insurance won’t cover a midwife. It actually might cost less to pay for a midwife out of pocket, then to pay for your deductible.
Midwives still exist?
It always surprises me to run across a woman who honestly doesn’t know there are still midwives attending births.
- I thought they were from medieval times.
- Is that legal?
- Why would someone need a midwife when there are OBs?
I actually really enjoy talking to these women, because they are pretty fascinated by the idea once they realize it exists.